Board of Directors
Chair: Michael Rhoads
First Vice Chair:
Russell Tschopp III
Second Vice Chair: John Flinchbaugh
Secretary: Michele (Shelly) Kimes
Assistant Secretary: Victoria Connor
Treasurer: Chad Bumbaugh
Assistant Treasurer: Shane Patterson
Pastor Judy McKee
In December of 2008, the board approved a new mission statement and a 5-year Strategic Plan. (This was a process that the board did not take lightly. We hired a facilitator to assist us. Several board members and staff served on the Strategic Plan Committee which met monthly. There were 8 focus group meetings, a half day retreat, etc.)
The mission statement we adopted is: We improve communities, strengthen neighborhoods, and stabilize lives by providing quality housing for people with limited resources.
The Strategic Plan we adopted includes four major goals:
- Build organization structures which support furthering the mission
- Achieve meeting the balanced needs of each of our facilities – fiscal, physical, and social
- Thrive as a company
- Develop new projects
We established a number of objectives to assist us in attaining the four goals – and set time frames for the objectives to be met as well as assigned the responsibility of meeting those objectives to specific individuals.
We feel we have made significant progress during the first year. We have:
- Converted to web-based property management software
- Developed a template for the Policy and Procedure Manual – as well as finalized a number of policies for the manual
- Formed a Development and Public Relations Committee – and it, as well as all of our other committees, are meeting regularly
- Developed job descriptions for board members, officers, and committees
- Begun the process of updating all of the staff job descriptions
- Acquired laptops for all of the Property Managers and the Executive Director
- Updated the computers at our main office
- Offered our staff members additional training opportunities
- Refinanced two of our facilities – Cloverfield Apartments and Kingston House
- Begun working with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to restructure the debt on another one of our facilities – Highland Manor Apartments
- Applied to participate in the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA) Smart Rehab Program – to obtain funds to make energy improvements at three of our facilities
- Acquired Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds from both the City and County of York to make improvements to our Dutch Kitchen facility
- Broadened our partnership with the York College nursing program and initiated a partnership with the Messiah College nursing program to offer our tenants blood pressure screenings, education on nutrition, diseases, medications, and opportunities to participate in activities - such as light exercise, etc.
We have made significant progress in attaining the goals/objectives outlined in the Strategic Plan we adopted in 2008 and are planning to update the Plan in 2013.